Recipe by MarieRynr
This was my mother in laws recipe and is a tried and true family favorite. It just wouldn't be a trip to grandma's without a nice tin of these waiting for the grandkids to devour them. With a nice cold glass of milk, who could ask for anything more...heaven...Preparation time does not include the chill time in the fridge overnight.
- 1 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together molasses and shortening.
- Bring to a boil and boil for a few minutes.
- Take off the stove.
- Add the soda and stir.
- Let cool.
- Sift together the flour, ginger and salt.
- Stir into the cooled mixture, mixing well.
- Place in a plastic bag and refrigerate overnight.
- Roll out very thin on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut into rounds.
- Bake in a hot oven (425*F) for a few minutes, about 2 1/2.
- Watch very carefully as they burn easily.
- Makes about 3 dozen.