Recipe by AmyZoe
This is the best gingersnap recipe I've ever tried. They are soft and chewy but also firm. Recipe courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens Classic Christmas Cookies.
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 cup shortening or 3⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl combine about half of the flour and all of the brown sugar, shortening or oil, molasses, egg, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed til thoroughly combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat or stir in the remaining flour.
- Shape the dough into 1 inch balls. Roll the balls in sugar to coat.
- Place cookies 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 375 oven for 8 to 10 minutes or til edges are set and tops are crackled.
- Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Remove cookies and cool on a wire rack.