Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is the best gingersnap recipe I've ever tried. They are soft and chewy but also firm. Recipe courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens Classic Christmas Cookies.
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 cup shortening or 3⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- In a large mixing bowl combine about half of the flour and all of the brown sugar, shortening or oil, molasses, egg, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed til thoroughly combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat or stir in the remaining flour.
- Shape the dough into 1 inch balls. Roll the balls in sugar to coat.
- Place cookies 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 375 oven for 8 to 10 minutes or til edges are set and tops are crackled.
- Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Remove cookies and cool on a wire rack.