Recipe by Chef Skie
Gingersnap cookies. Given to me by Peg (Miriam) Raver tucked in her "Rumford Complete Cookbook: Revised," which was originally published in 1908, and this edition was published in 1940. Unsure how many a batch makes right now.
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- granulated white sugar, for rolling dough
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix shortening, brown sugar, egg and molasses until combined.
- Blend in flour, baking soda, spice, and salt.
- Shape rounded teaspoons of dough into balls and roll in white sugar.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet and flatten slightly if desired.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until just set.
- Remove from pans immediately.