Recipe by Rainbow*Bubbles
Spicy, chewy cookies suitable for almost any diet! Spelt isn't totally wheat/gluten free so check first, but apart from that they're vegan, wheat/dairy/egg free, fat free and relatively healthy :). They last longer than most cookies in a sealed container. Great cookies for dunking, especially in hot soymilk!
- 1⁄4 cup agave nectar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups whole spelt flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger (more if you want it more spicy)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (again, can use more)
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt together agave, molasses and sugar over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Allow to cool slightly.
- Mix in spices, salt and enough flour to form a stiff dough. Take small amount of dough and roll into a ball, then flatten onto a sprayed baking sheet. Yield will depend on size; I like to make mine smallish so they're more crunchy.
- Bake about 5 mins, or until just set (they will firm as they cool). Less time will make softer cookies; longer will make them crunchier. Cookies will be very crunchy once they've cooled, but will soften in a few days so if you don't like really crunchy cookies leave a few days before eating (which also allows the spices to 'meld' more), If you want them glazed, use a hard icing of confectioners' sugar and water which makes them similar to lebkuchen, but I tend to leave mine plain coz I like dunking them in hot soymilk!