Recipe by MizzNezz
I remember my grandma making these, nothing smelled as good as these when they were baking.
Top Review by Shannon Holmes
Very good, I used only 1 tsp. of ginger and I think that I will use 2 tsp. as the recipe is written, also used a mix of golden syrup and corn syrup as I had no molasses and brown sugar instead of white since I didn't use molasses (still used white sugar to roll cookies in). I didn't have any eggs so I used 1/4 cup applesauce and also threw in 1/4 tsp. cloves. I have since made these again and it is best with 1/4 allspice. My husband says it is his new fave cookie, thanks so much for sharing!
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- additional sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream shortning and sugar.
- Beat in egg and molasses.
- Mix flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and salt.
- Gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Roll teaspoons of dough into balls.
- Dip one side of each ball in sugar.
- Place, sugar side up, on greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350* for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Cookies will be crinkly.