Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Someone brought this cookie to an outing and they were so good I had to get the recipe. Now I'm passing it on. To make these really festive at Christmas, you could dip about one-quarter of it in a melted chocolate (white or dark) and then in sprinkles. They would jazz up a cookie tray and look very pretty.
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- Cream the shortening and sugar.
- Add the molasses, egg, and salt and mix well.
- Add the flour, soda, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves; mix well.
- This makes a stiff dough.
- Roll into balls and roll in granulated sugar.
- Bake on ungreased sheet at 350 degrees for 12 minutes (do not flatten balls on sheet).
My friend made this recipe and gave it to me; I decided to double-check zaar. Really fantastic cookies. He got the recipe from Penzy's recipies, I think from the first volume released. The Penzy's recipe instructions require to chill two hours or overnight. Store in an airtight container for crispy cookeis or in a regular cookie jar for chewy cookies.