Recipe by Saturn
Mmm! Cookies... one for the roast, one for me, one for the roast, two for me...
Top Review by Meghan at Food.com
I thought this dish had a very unique flavor that I really enjoyed. The husband thought it tasted like pot roast and pumpkin pie, but there's no need to listen to his opinion. ;) I did not brown the roast first, but I don't think it mattered at all. This was great! My only "fault" with this recipe is that our potatoes came out a little mushier than I had hoped. I think next time I'll cut them into much larger pieces and see if that makes a difference.
- 3 lbs beef chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup water
- 8 gingersnaps, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon, granules
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper, ground
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled & quartered
- 3 medium carrots or 2 parsnips, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim fat from roast. Cut if necessary to fit crock-pot.
- In large skillet brown roast on all sides in hot oil.
- In a small bowl combine water, gingersnaps, vinegar, bouillon, and red pepper.
- In crock-pot, place potatoes, carrots or parsnips, and bay leaf. Place meat on top of vegetables.
- Pour gingersnap mixture over meat.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 10-12 hours or high-heat setting for 5-6 hours.