Mmm! Cookies... one for the roast, one for me, one for the roast, two for me...
Make and share this Gingersnap Pot Roast recipe from Food.com.
- Trim fat from roast. Cut if necessary to fit crock-pot.
- In large skillet brown roast on all sides in hot oil.
- In a small bowl combine water, gingersnaps, vinegar, bouillon, and red pepper.
- In crock-pot, place potatoes, carrots or parsnips, and bay leaf. Place meat on top of vegetables.
- Pour gingersnap mixture over meat.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 10-12 hours or high-heat setting for 5-6 hours.
I thought this dish had a very unique flavor that I really enjoyed. The husband thought it tasted like pot roast and pumpkin pie, but there's no need to listen to his opinion. ;) I did not brown the roast first, but I don't think it mattered at all. This was great! My only "fault" with this recipe is that our potatoes came out a little mushier than I had hoped. I think next time I'll cut them into much larger pieces and see if that makes a difference.
I used a mixture of russet potatoes, yams and carrots in this dish - and really liked having the yams in there. I didn't feel that the ginger snap cookies really gave the roast any flavor at all and found the dish rather bland. If I were to make again I would add onions, garlic and maybe up the vinegar and red pepper flakes for more zip.
Very easy and very good!