Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
The unusual and very tasty sauce for these meatballs contains crushed gingersnaps. This is a scaled down adaptation of a recipe that I found in one of my Taste Of Home magazines. I think it is good served with macaroni and cheese and a crisp salad.
- 2 eggs
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb ground chuck
- vegetable oil
- 1 3⁄4 cups tomato juice
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 5 gingersnaps, finely crushed
- 1⁄8 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion salt
- Combine the first five ingredients.
- Shape into meatballs any size you choose.
- Brown the meatballs in a little vegetable oil.
- Transfer to a baking dish.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients for the sauce.
- Bring to a boil in a sauce pan.
- Pour the sauce over the meatballs and bake@ 350 for 40-45 minutes.
I made Gingersnap Meatballs for dinner tonight, served them with rice, green beans almondine and biscuits. My family thoroughly enjoyed this dinner, perfect for an Autumnal evening. Next time I prepare them, and there will be a next time as the sauce is particularly yummy, I will try putting some crushed gingersnaps in the meatballs themselves for a little more gingersnap taste. Thanks for a great recipe.