Prep 8 hrs
Cook 15 mins
Yummy gingersnap cookies for those who like them thin and crispy. A modification on a recipe from SimplyRecipes.com. Prep time includes freezing time; amount of cookies produced will depend on how thinly they are sliced.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and eggs and mix until well blended.
- Add molasses and mix until well blended.
- Sift remaining ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture in two batches, stirring until just combined.
- Line a mini loaf pan with plastic wrap or aluminum foil, or use a foil baking pan. Pack dough tightly into the pan; use your hands, it's easier. Cover dough and place in freezer overnight.
- Remove from freezer and pan and unwrap dough. Slice the dough brick into thin slices, no more than 1/8 inch. This can be kind of a pain; a wire cutter is the easiest, if you have one.
- Place slices on parchment lined cookie sheet or silicone baking mat, 1 inch apart. Bake at 350 until edges turn dark, 7-12 minutes depending on the thickness of the cookies.