Modified from 'Food to Live By'. What I liked about these cookies was that they were not overly spiced or too heavy handed with the molasses.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened (12 tablespoons)
- 1 cup natural cane sugar
- 1/2 cup raw sugar, for rolling in the cookies
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (specifically I tested freshly milled Prairie Gold spring wheat from Montana)
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Note: I used a KitchenAid stand up mixer to prep the cookie dough. I also cut the recipe in half and used one egg. The dough was a little too wet to form into balls and I added about 1/3 cup more flour.
- 3Place butter and 1 cup sugar in a medium mixing bowl. Beat with electric mixture at medium speed until smooth, about 2-3 minutes.
- 4Add the egg and molasses and beat until combined, about 1 minute.
- 5In a mixing bowl whisk together the flours, ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- 6With the mixer on LOW speed, slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture; beat until smooth.
- 7Use an oiled cookie scoop (or similar tool) to form small balls.
- 8Lightly roll the balls in the raw sugar to coat evenly.
- 9Arrange the cookie balls on parchment-lined baking sheets, (12 balls at a time on each cookie sheet) 2 inches apart. Press each cookie ball down with the bottom of a buttered drinking glass to 1/4 inch thickness.
- 10Bake the cookies about 10-12 minutes or until fragrant and the top of the cookies have cracks.
- 11Transfer the baking sheets to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes. Then, using a spatula remove the cookies to the wire rack to finish cooling.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gingersnap Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (867 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 149.1
- Calories from Fat 55
- Total Fat 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 23.0 mg
- Sodium 158.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 14.4 g
- Protein 1.5 g