Recipe by Juenessa
A soft, chewy cookie that tastes great!
Top Review by GondolaQueen
These cookies were very good- but maybe a bit misnamed. I didn't realize it until I'd already started, but these are gingerBREAD cookies. Gingersnap are thinner, lighter in colour and almost airy- not fluffy and soft. These are good gingerbread cookies though. I enjoyed eating these- as I searched for a true gingersnap recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, softened (no substitutes)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- additional sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in molasses.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- Roll into 1-in. balls; roll in sugar.
- Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350°F for 8-12 minutes or until puffy and lightly browned.
- Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks.
- **Cook time does not include chilling the dough for 1 hour.