Recipe by Chalko
This is the recie my grandmother gave to me. I have no idea where she got it from. But they are SO yummy! They are crisp and chewy and full of flavor. I usually buy the cloves whole and crush them myself.
Top Review by Baby Kato
These are wonderful cookies Chalko. Gram's recipe certainly rocks. We loved these delicious, sweet, spicy, crisp, tender, chewy cookies. I used freshly ground cloves and ginger, that I ground myself. What a subtle flavor it imparted, so much nicer, than store bought. Thanks so much for sharing, my dh is very happy tonight.
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening or 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large bowl place about half of the flour.
- Add the brown sugar, shortening or oil, molasses, egg, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed till thoroughly combined. Then beat or stir in the remaining flour.
- Shape the dough into 1-inch balls. Roll the balls in sugar to coat.
- Place 2 inches apart on an un-greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or till edges are set and tops are crackled. Cool for one minute on cookie sheet. Cool on a wire rack.