Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
This is the recie my grandmother gave to me. I have no idea where she got it from. But they are SO yummy! They are crisp and chewy and full of flavor. I usually buy the cloves whole and crush them myself.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large bowl place about half of the flour.
- Add the brown sugar, shortening or oil, molasses, egg, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed till thoroughly combined. Then beat or stir in the remaining flour.
- Shape the dough into 1-inch balls. Roll the balls in sugar to coat.
- Place 2 inches apart on an un-greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or till edges are set and tops are crackled. Cool for one minute on cookie sheet. Cool on a wire rack.
These are wonderful cookies Chalko. Gram's recipe certainly rocks. We loved these delicious, sweet, spicy, crisp, tender, chewy cookies. I used freshly ground cloves and ginger, that I ground myself. What a subtle flavor it imparted, so much nicer, than store bought. Thanks so much for sharing, my dh is very happy tonight.