Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Sunset Magazine. This just screams Autumn. :)
- 3 ounces gingersnap cookies, broken into pieces (about a dozen 2-in. cookies)
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 4 sweet apples, such as Fuji (about 2 lb. total)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream (optional)
- In a blender or food processor, whirl gingersnaps and brown sugar to fine crumbs.
- With a small, sharp knife, starting from stem ends, cut around cores to about 3/4 of the way through apples; scoop out cores with a spoon, making a 1 1/2-inch-wide cavity and leaving bases intact.
- Set apples slightly apart in a shallow 2- to 3-quart baking dish.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon gingersnap mixture into each cavity and top with 1/2 tablespoon butter.
- Sprinkle apples evenly with remaining gingersnap mixture.
- Bake in a 375º regular or convection oven until apples are tender when pierced, about 45 minutes.
- Transfer to individual bowls and pour 2 tablespoons cream around each if desired.