Recipe by Ginger_B
This is a dish brimming full of robust flavor. It's also very aromatic, and will fill your kitchen with a mouth-watered scent while it's cooking. My dad originally cooked this for me, it has been one of my favorites for years. On my own, I've tweaked a few of the ingredients and amounts to my tastes. Adjust them as you would prefer. Some may want less spicy, some may be more worried about all the margarine or vinegar. The apple cider vinegar gives it a tart but nice flavor. You can reduce the amount if it's not to your liking, but I would highly suggest not omitting the vinegar, the flavor will suffer terribly. From my home to yours, I hope you enjoy. This is especially liked by the husbands, especially those who crave spicy foods.
Top Review by Desperada
Delicous! I couldn't wait until it came out of the oven because it smelled sooooo good. I did cut back on the hot pepper sauce because it seemed like it would be too spicy for me with the entire 6 T. Thanks for posting!
- 2 lbs skinless chicken pieces (Breasts typically won't generate enough flavor, I usually use thighs)
- 3 -4 baking potatoes, peeled and cut into stew-sized pieces (Quartered if you prefer)
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 4 -6 sliced carrots or 1 -2 can sliced carrot
- 1⁄4 lb margarine
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 6 tablespoons texas pete hot pepper sauce ("or" to taste)
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large baking pan, arrange chicken pieces.
- Pour over chicken pieces, in this order for best results: apple cider vinegar, 3.
- tbsp hot pepper sauce, 1 tsp black pepper, salt to taste.
- Arrange potatoes around and above chicken pieces, top with onion.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp black pepper across potatoes and onions.
- Salt to taste.
- Drizzle remaining hot pepper sauce across potatoes and onions.
- Top with sliced carrots.
- Evenly spread out pats of butter across carrot layer.
- Carefully cover baking pan with tin foil.
- Bake at 350º for 1 1/2 hours or until potatoes are soft and chicken is done.
- Half-way through cooking time, remove pan from oven, carefully lift foil from baking pan.
- Flip chicken pieces and turn potatoes from bottom to top, spooning juices over vegetables.