Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I invented this recipe completely on my own on a cold winter day when I craved something spicy but simple. I've never made plain tomato soup since :) It's a truly wonderful change, spicy but creamy, warm and smooth..and kids love it. If your children are particularly sensitive to spiceiness, you may want to reduce the hot pepper sauce and possibly eliminate the red pepper flakes. My boyfriend and his son actually came up with the name "Dorito Soup." They love it on a cold day! I'm sure yours will, too!
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 7 ounces water (half can)
- 7 ounces milk or 7 ounces 2% low-fat milk or 7 ounces reduced-fat milk or 7 ounces lowfat 1% low-fat milk or 7 ounces skim milk (Just not buttermilk, evaporated or powdered milk.)
- 2 -4 ounces cheddar cheese, grated (or cheese of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon texas pete hot pepper sauce, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- saltine crackers or butter flavored cracker
- In saucepan, combine tomato soup, water and milk.
- Stir until reasonably blended.
- Add grated cheese, hot pepper sauce, crushed red pepper and black pepper.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring often.
- Continue heating until cheese has melted into soup.
- Add salt, stir well.
- Pour into bowls or cups, and serve with crackers (I crush mine into the soup).
Very very good. Nice and hot.
A very nice, pleasantly spicy soup that was so easy to put together, and such a tasty change from regular tomato soup. I didn't have any Dorito chips, so I used regular tortilla chips and it was still very good. Thanks for sharing!
I doubled the hot sauce and red pepper flakes and could still add more heat to it, but didn't for the kids' sake. :) I think chipotle would be a good addition, as well. I also thinly sliced some corn tortillas and baked them to make tortilla shreds for garnish. This is a great way to use up some of my tomato soup that I got at a great deal. Thank you!