Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I don't remember where this one came from, it is handwritten in my collection. I made the mistake of ading SR Flour instead of plain flour and it came out better than the original recipe.
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 125 g unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- Preheat oven to 180°C Line biscuit trays with baking paper.
- Sift flour into large bowl with remaining dry ingredients, add sugar and cubed butter. Using fingertips, rub butter into flour until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Place boiling water in a small jug, add golden syrup and stir until dissolved. Add to flour mixture and mix to a soft dough.
- Roll 2 tablespoonfuls of mixture into balls. Place on prepared trays and flatten with a fork. Bake 15 minutes. Cool on tray for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.