Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I've seen so many recipes for Tomato soup on Zaar but nothing like mine so I decided to post it
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped zucchini
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chopped artichoke heart
- italian style crouton
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- in a medium saucepan cook Onion, carrot, celery in hot butter for 5 minutes.
- add tomatoes, vegetable juicesugar, italian seasoning, salt and pepper and simmer ten minutes.
- Cool slightly in a belnder or food processor Place half of the tomato mixture and blend, repeat with remaining half.
- add enough water to reach desired consisitency.
- add in Zuccini and hot pepper sauce.
- boil til Zucchini is tender then add artichoke hearts.
- Top with croutons and cheese.
This soup is sooooooo good! It's a cold rainy day here in San Jose (California); when I saw this recipe I just had to have it... at 10:15 in the morning! I didn't have grated parmesan cheese so I substituted grated pecorino romano cheese and used Crystal Louisiana Hot Sauce, V-8 juice (what a great addition); Trader Joe's Marinated Artichoke Hearts and Mrs. Cubbison's Herb & Cheese croutons. Mmmmmmm... This is positively scrumptious... DEFINITELY my kind of "soup for the soul" on a rainy day... Thanks, GingerlyJ!
I loved the soup. However, I made one change - I used Vegetable Broth instead of water to thin the soup. It gives a richer flavor. I also used a Southwest Chipotle sauce instead of plain hot sauce. Again, more flavorful. Served with cornbread this is a winter night delight!