Recipe by GingerlyJ
This is comfort food at it's greatest! for the squash puree I use campbells select butternut squash soup or beechnut butternut squash baby food
Top Review by The Spice Guru
Wow, this is ever amazing! This one knocked us out -- and knocked my other recipes out of the ballpark! The texture is exactly the way I love it. MissGingerlyJ, you sure know how to cook (*wink*)!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mini penne
- 1 cup butternut squash puree
- 1 cup diced shallot
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1 cup grated extra sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chihuahua cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded Velveeta cheese
- 1 cup grated romano cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups half-and-half
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan melt stick of butter. sweat shallots in butter until tender.
- cook pasta until half done and drain.
- stir in flour into butter and make a blonde roux. cook for two minutes, slowly whisk in half an half and squash.
- add in pepper and nutmeg.
- cook, stirring often until sauce is thickened.
- add in cheeses and stir.
- once cheese are melted toss pasta with cheese sauce.
- transfer to casserole dish.
- toss panko in butter and sprinkle over pasta.
- bake at 375 for 45 minutes.