Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Recipe is from the cookbook Eat Caribbean. Cooking time includes cooking the beets.
Make and share this Gingerly Picked Beets With Cinnamon and Pepper recipe from Food.com.
- 4 large beetroots
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1⁄2 cup cane vinegar (white) or 1⁄2 cup distilled malt vinegar (white)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 scotch bonnet pepper, sliced (optional)
- Boil the beets in a lage pan of water until tender, 45-60 minutes.
- Cool, peel off the skins and slice the beets into wedges. Place in a shallow bowl in one layer.
- Heat the sugar, ginger, vinegar and water until just boiling and add the cinnamon stick and scotch bonnet, if using.
- Pour over the sliced beets and allow to sit until cooked.
I am not leaving stars due to user adjustments. I made this with (drained) canned beets and elected to skip the scotch bonnet peppers. I think the heat would have offset the strong ginger flavor. Thank you for posting the recipe!