Recipe by Ck2plz
Recipe is from the cookbook Eat Caribbean. Cooking time includes cooking the beets.
Top Review by Susie D
I am not leaving stars due to user adjustments. I made this with (drained) canned beets and elected to skip the scotch bonnet peppers. I think the heat would have offset the strong ginger flavor. Thank you for posting the recipe!
- 4 large beetroots
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1⁄2 cup cane vinegar (white) or 1⁄2 cup distilled malt vinegar (white)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 scotch bonnet pepper, sliced (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the beets in a lage pan of water until tender, 45-60 minutes.
- Cool, peel off the skins and slice the beets into wedges. Place in a shallow bowl in one layer.
- Heat the sugar, ginger, vinegar and water until just boiling and add the cinnamon stick and scotch bonnet, if using.
- Pour over the sliced beets and allow to sit until cooked.