Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Use sweet potatoes if desired, but I think yams are best. Ginger must be fresh, not powdered.
- 6 cups diced yams, peeled
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth (or veggie broth)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground ginger
- 4 ounces unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄4 cup toasted sliced almonds (optional)
- In large saucepan, combine yams, chicken stock and ginger; bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Using a hand blender/blender/food processor, puree until mixture is smooth.
- Return mixture to saucepan; whisk in coconut milk, lime juice, salt, pepper, and coriander.
- Cook just until heated through.
- **If soup is too thick for you, just add more broth, water, or coconut milk.
- Ladle into bowls; sprinkle with toasted almonds, if desired. and coriander.
The ginger was almost imperceptible once the soup was cooked; what we really noticed was the lime juice, very pleasant. DH liked the sliced almonds; next time I'm going to grate them fine before garnishing, because I think the nut texture clashes with the smoothness of the soup. Thanks for submitting...
I LOVE this soup! I'm not much of ginger fan but in this soup it's wonderful and it's an added bonus that it's good for you too. Ginger not only is good for soothing stomachs but is also good in helping to battle/prevent diseases (i.e. Cancers, etc.). I add an extra tablespoon of fresh ginger when combining the remaining ingredients to give it more of a kick and also nice to have a little extra. I also added the optional almonds by finely chopping them and I find that it gives a nice crunch to the soup but that depends on your palette as some may prefer the smoothness of the soup alone.
A unique spin on yam/sweet potato soup! I enjoyed the complex flavors that the ginger, coconut milk and lime juice added to this soup. Made for dinner tonight as a main meal and easily served 4 - used one box of chicken broth (4c), half a can of coconut milk lite and skipped the sliced almonds. Yum!