Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A very unique tasting biscotti, great as a gift.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons crystallized ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces premium white baking chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- Pre-heat oven to at 350°F.
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine the vanilla and next 2 ingredients, and add to the flour mixture.
- Stir until well blended (dough will be dry).
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead lightly 7 or 8 times.
- Shape dough into a 16-inch long roll.
- Place roll on a greased baking sheet coated with cooking spray, and flatten roll to 1-inch thickness.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the roll from the baking sheet to a wire rack, and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Cut the roll diagonally into 1/2" slices.
- Place, cut sides down on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 more minutes.
- Turn cookies over and bake an additional 10 minutes (cookies will be slightly soft in the center but will harden as they cool).
- Remove cookies from the baking sheet and let cool completely.
These are very tasty and of a nice firm texture ideal for dipping in tea or coffee. The ginger flavour was good but too subtle for me and I will add more next time (perhaps 6 tsp - I do love ginger.) Followed the recipe exactly except for baking temperature - used 300 F, even so the final baking only needed about 5-6 minutes per side. I'll definitely make them again, and might dip half into melted chocolate next time also. Thanks for the recipe!