Recipe by KeriLou
Serve as a relish, or drain it for use with Gingered Sour Cream Fruitcake (see other recipe)
- 7 cups watermelon rind, peeled, 1-in . squares
- 6 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup honey
- 4 slices lemon peel
- 1 cinnamon stick, 2 inches long
- 12 whole cloves
- 4 slices gingerroot, thin
Directions See How It's Made
- Blanch watermelon rind just until the tines of a fork will pierce the flesh. Don't overcook. Drain rind.
- Make syrup by simmering vinegar, honey, lemon peel, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger for 10 minute.
- In a lg. bowl, pour hot syrup over rind, cover, & chill overnight.
- Remove rind & put into 4 hot, scalded pint jars, filling three-quarters full.
- Bring syrup to a boil & pour over rind in jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace.
- Seal & process 10 minute in a boiling water bath.