Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
We love this stir-fry with asparagus and tofu. The recipe comes from Better Homes and Gardens.
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry or 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces (2 1/2 cups)
- 1 small summer squash, halved lengthwise and sliced (1 1/4 cups)
- 2 green onions, sliced (1/4 cup)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) package extra firm tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (fresh bean curd)
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts or 1⁄2 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- For sauce, in a small bowl stir together water, dry sherry or wine, soy sauce, cornstarch, and sugar; set aside.
- Pour oil into wok or large skillet (add more oil as necessary during cooking).
- Preheat the wok or skillet over medium-high heat.
- Stir fry the ginger in hot oil for 15 seconds.
- Add fresh asparagus and squash; stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Add green onions; stirring about 1 1/2 minutes more or until asparagus is crisp-tender.
- Remove vegetables from wok.
- Add tofu to wok or skillet.
- Carefully stir for 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from wok.
- Stir the sauce.
- Add sauce to hot wok.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Return cooked vegetables and tofu to the wok.
- Stir all ingredients together to coat with sauce.
- Cover and cook about 1 minute more or until heated through.
- Stir in toasted pine nuts or almonds, Serve over rice.
You could taste the ginger, but it wasn't very flavorful. The sauce wasn't thick enough. Overall, it turned out very bland for me.