Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Part of my Thanksgiving dinner, this dish is a nice change from the more original sweet potatoe casserole. It is not as sweet as the ones that people usually compare to as a dessert.
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 6 tablespoons dark brown sugar (packed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped lemon peel (no white attached)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Grease a 1- to 1-1/2-quart ovenproof serving dish or spray with nonstick spray.
- Wash and dry the sweet potatoes. Stick them with a knife several times each to allow steam to escape. Put them baking sheet and bake until soft. (1-1/2 to 2 hours, depending on size).
- Peel potatoes as soon as they are cool enough to handle.
- Beat with an electric mixer.
- Beat in 4 tablespoons of the butter. Add 4 tablespoons of the brown sugar and the salt, coriander, cinnamon, ginger, and lemon peel. Mix well.
- Beat in the orange juice.
- Place the potatoes in the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle top lightly with remaining 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and dot with remaining 2 tablespoons butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes until heated through.
- To make ahead- After you put it together, and before baking, cover it tightly with foil and freeze. When ready to use, defrost the casserole and bake in a 350°F oven for 30 minutes.
Forgiven - - this will be served at Thanksgiving time this year! I tried it last night and it was delicious. I'm not patient though, so instead of baking the sweet potatoes in the oven, I wrapped them in saran wrap and microwaved them for 8 minutes and voila!---I was ready to whip them up. Thanks again for an awesome recipe! Krsi Sue
These were great! Loved the crunchy caramelized sugar on the top. I used vacuum-packed canned potatoes instead of fresh to save time. Added a couple extra Tbsp brown sugar in the mixture & on top (I like *sweet* potatoes!) Used orange zest instead of lemon and cut the coriander to 1/4 tsp. Realized after adding 1 tsp ground ginger that I'd read the recipe wrong so added 1/2 tsp fresh ginger as well. This was a great version of sweet potato casserole. Thanks Chef Mommie!