I saw this recipe in Taste of Home and it looked so pretty and delicious I couldn't resist trying it and posting it here to share. It is a very elegant looking dessert but so simple to make. The gingersnap crust is such a perfect complement to the strawberries. A scrumptious dessert without a lot of calories. I'm sure it will taste even more delicious when strawberries are in season. Prep time does not include time for chilling.
- 24 gingersnap cookies (about 1 cup crushed)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon crystallized ginger, finely chopped (optional)
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 5 tablespoons seedless strawberry jam
- whipped cream (optional)
- In food processor, combine the gingersnaps, 2 T sugar and butter.
- Cover and process until blended.
- Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch or 10-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine the cornstarch, ginger if desired and remaining sugar.
- Stir in the chopped strawberries and water.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4-6 minutes or until thickened.
- Cool for 30 minutes.
- Pour into crust.
- Cover and refrigerate 2 hours or until set.
- Arrange sliced berries over filling.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, heat jam on high for 15-20 seconds or until pourable; brush over berries.
- Remove sides from tart pan.
- Top with whipped cream, if desired.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
This was desert on Mother's Day. I skipped the crystallized ginger but it was still great.
I am sure these would taste loads better with fresh strawberries but I had none and I used fresh frozen and it still tasted pretty darn good! Looks gorgeous too.