Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 35 mins
Yummmmm, my dh was complaining about always having ham prepared the same way. So we tried it this way and he loves it.
- 4 1⁄2 lbs smoked ham, shank portion
- 1 cup root beer, divided
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons honey, liquid
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ginger, candied, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove, whole
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar, brown
- 1 tablespoon mustard, dijon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Set ham on rack ontop of a foil lined roasting pan.
- Add 3/4 cup of rootbeer to pan . Make sure ham is not sitting in pop.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Combine remaining rootbeer in pot with honey and ginger and simmer for 10 minutes until a glaze is achieved.
- Remove ham from oven and cut off and discard skin. You want to expose the layer of fat underneath the skin.
- Score the fat in a diamond pattern, do not cut into meat. Take the colves and stud each diamond with a clove.
- In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Spread the sugar mixture over the ham, then pour the rootbeer glaze overtop of the sugar mixture. Try to coat evenly.
- Return the ham to the oven and bake uncovered, for an additional hour, basting at least twice.
- Remove from oven, cover loosely with foil, allow to sit 15 minutes, then baste one final time with the pan juices, slice and serve.