Recipe by CountryLady
This is a refreshing change from the sweetness of most jams. Ginger adds a pungent spiciness while the honey offsets the tartness of the rhubarb.
Top Review by GrItalishian
Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I made this as a gift for my landlord's 72nd birthday and he loved it. He loves rhubarb, but he always complains that people make their rhubarb too sweet and he said this jam was perfect. It is sweet but not too sweet. The apple helps give it a nice texture. The lemon and ginger offset the sugar so it has some tang and kick. I had never tried rhubarb before until today and now I see what all the fuss is about. This recipe is a keeper that will be added to family Christmas gift baskets this year. Thanks again for sharing!
- 1 lemon
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb, fresh or frozen
- 1 large apple, peeled,cored & finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup liquid honey
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons candied ginger, finely chopped (or crystallized)
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove thin outer rind from lemon with a veggie peeler& cut into fine strips with scissors or sharp knife- or use a zester.
- Place in a medium stainless steel or enamel saucepan.
- Squeeze& reserve 1 tbsp of juice from lemon.
- Add rhubarb, apple& water to saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cover, reduce heat& boil gently for 15 minutes or until fruit is tender.
- Add sugar, honey, ginger& lemon juice.
- Return to a boil& boil rapidly, uncovered, stirring frequently, until mixture forms a gel (about 10 minutes).
- Remove from heat.
- Ladle into hot, sterile jars and process in water bath for 10 minutes.
- Remove from bath, let jars cool, label& store in a cool place.