Prep 20 mins
Cook 57 mins
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar, plus 1/3 cup
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup canned unseasoned pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated skim milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Put a kettle of water on to heat for the water bath.
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine 3/4 cup sugar with 1/3 cup water.
- Bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally until sugar melts.
- Increase heat to medium-high and cook, without stirring, until caramel turns amber, 5 to 7 minutes.
- (Watch so that it does not burn.).
- Carefully pour caramel into six 3/4-cup ramekins and tilt to coat insides evenly.
- Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs, egg whites and remaining 1/3 cup sugar until smooth.
- Add pumpkin puree, ginger and vanilla; whisk until smooth.
- Stir in 1% and evaporated milks.
- Pour into prepared ramekins.
- Skim off any air bubbles.
- Place a folded kitchen towel in a roasting pan.
- Place ramekins on towel.
- Add enough boiling water to the pan to come halfway up the outsides of the ramekins.
- Bake flans for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted in their centers comes out clean.
- Remove ramekins from water and let cool on a wire rack.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours.
- (The flans will keep, covered, in the refrigeratorfor up to 2 days.).
- To serve, run a knife around the edge of each flan and invert into shallow dessert bowls.