1 hr 45 mins
Epi Curious's Note:
A long-time Thanksgiving favorite in my household, this recipe was originally published in the 1991 November issue of Bon Appetit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup golden raisin
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, minced, plus
- 2 tablespoons crystallized ginger, minced (about 2 1/2 ounces)
- 3 lbs pears, peeled, cored, sliced 1/2 inch thick (about 7 medium)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 pie crusts, dough disks (commercial)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1Combine raisins and ginger in heavy small saucepan. Add enough water to just cover. Simmer over low heat until liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Cool completely.
- 2Position rack in lowest third of oven and preheat to 400°F Combine pears and next 6 ingredients in bowl. Stir in raisin mixture. Roll out 1 pie crust disk on lightly floured surface to 13-inch round (about 1/8 inch thick). Roll up dough on rolling pin and transfer to 9-inch-diameter glass pie plate. Gently press into place. Trim edges of crust, leaving 1/4-inch overhang. Spoon pear mixture into pan, mounding in center.
- 3Roll out second crust disk on lightly floured surface to 13-inch-diameter round. Roll up on rolling pin and unroll over pie. Trim edges, leaving 3/4 -inch overhang. Fold overhang of top crust under edge of bottom crust. Pinch edges together to seal. Crimp edges to make decorative border. Gather and reroll scraps. Cut out decorative shapes. Beat egg with milk in small bowl for glaze. Brush top of pie with glaze. Make several slashes in top crust so steam can escape.
- 4Bake pie until crust is golden brown and juices bubble up through slashes, covering crust edges with foil if browning too quickly, about 1 hour. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gingered Pear Pie With Golden Raisins
Serving Size: 1 (267 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 483.4
- Calories from Fat 182
- Total Fat 20.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 35.2 mg
- Sodium 307.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 40.2 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: