1 hr 25 mins
This casual breakfast treat can also be individually wrapped in plastic and taken on your next picnic or family outing. Try substituting 3 cups of peeled and coarsely chopped tart apples plus 3/4 cup chopped cranberries, 4 cups fresh chopped pineapple or 3 cups peeled and diced peaches for the pears. Or try using 3 cups of fresh or frozen blueberries or blackberries to top the batter. From Cooking Club of America.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 bosc pears, peeled, coarsely chopped (about 3 1/2 to 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons crystallized ginger, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1Heat oven to 350°F Grease and flour 13x9-inch pan. In medium bowl, combine pears, ginger and lemon juice; toss gently to mix.
- 2In large bowl, combine sugar, butter and shortening; beat at medium speed about 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and orange peel.
- 3In another large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal and baking powder; mix well. Beating at medium speed, alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Spread batter in pan.
- 4Distribute pear mixture evenly over batter. Lightly press fruit into batter.
- 5Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and cake begins to pull away from sides of pan. Cool on wire rack.
- 6TIP *Crystallized ginger, also called candied ginger, is sliced ginger that has been cooked in a sugar syrup, then dipped in sugar. Look for it in the Asian foods section, the spice aisle or even the produce section (with other dried specialty ingredients) in the grocery store.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gingered Pear-Cornmeal Coffee Cake
Serving Size: 1 (93 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 233.5
- Calories from Fat 99
- Total Fat 11.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 54.7 mg
- Sodium 59.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 18.7 g
- Protein 2.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: