Recipe by MarieRynr
If you like parsnips you will like this pleasing soup. Add a crunch to this velvety soup by topping it with plain croutons if you like.
Top Review by CountryLady
Although I used 1% milk to reduce the fat level, this soup was still delicious! The recipe was quick & easy - I simplified it even further by not straining the mixture. I used sea salt & white pepper as seasonings & next time, I'll replace the cayenne pepper with a dash of nutmeg. Thanx MarieAlice for another keeper!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups chopped leeks
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 1⁄2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 lbs peeled parsnips, chopped coarsely (4 cups)
- 2 cups half-and-half
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in heavy pot over medium heat.
- Add next 5 ingredients and saute until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth and parsnips; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until parsnips are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth.
- Strain into another large pot; discard solids in stainer.
- Whisk in half and half.
- Simmer soup over medium heat until heated through, about 10 minutes.
- Season soup with salt and pepper to taste.