Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup crushed ginger snaps (use your food processor)
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 medium onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger (or 1 T. grated fresh)
- ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-sodium fat-free beef broth
- 1 lemon
- 2 -3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Combine beef, ½ cup ginger snap crumbs, bread crumbs, egg, onion, spices, salt, and pepper in a large bowl (do not overmix).
- Form into 2-inch balls.
- Heat oil and butter over med-high heat; brown meatballs evenly, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, the juice of 1 lemon, brown sugar, and the remaining ½ cup ginger snap crumbs to the pan.
- Cook until the cookie crumbs dissolve into the sauce, stirring carefully and frequently.
- Stir in parsley; decrease heat down a bit and cover; cook 10 minutes.
- Transfer to serving dish and serve with bamboo skewers for picking.