Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Yummy refreshing drink. Adapted from Cooks Illustrated and said to be one of the favorites!
- 10 -12 medium lemons, scrubbed well, halved lengthwise, all halves sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 pinch salt (optional)
- 5 cups cold water
- Mash lemons, ginger, and sugar (and salt, if using) in large, deep bowl with potato masher or wooden spoon until lemon slices give up their juice, sugar is dissolved, and juice is thickened to syrup consistency, about 4 minutes.
- Pour half the lemon slices and syrup through large sieve over bowl; press on solids with masher or back of wooden spoon to release as much liquid as possible. Discard solids; transfer liquid to serving pitcher. Repeat process with remaining lemon slices. Stir in water until blended.
- Chill well and stir to blend before serving over ice.
Wow, I really enjoyed this tart, tangy refreshing lemonade. The ginger adds a real kick, I also added a little extra water. Thank you for sharing this quick and easy to make treat. We will be enjoying this often this summer. Made for Name that ingredient.
Very good! Alittle strong for me so adding alittle more water or ice cubes to water it down made it perfect. Great unique flavor. I'll definitely make this again!
We love fresh ginger, and this was a perfect sweet and tangy summer drink! All the flavours balanced really nicely. The only change I made was to add an extra lemon, sliced for garnishing. Yummy! Thanks Sharon!