Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Fine Cooking. Feel free to leave it out of these bars—you’ll still get a luscious, tart and tangy, sweet lemon bar.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar, plus
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon lightly packed finely grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger, plus
- 1 pinch ground ginger
- table salt
- 1⁄2 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, more
- unsalted butter, for the pan
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F Butter an 8-inch square baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk 1 cup (4-1/2 oz.) of the flour with 1/4 cup of the confectioners’ sugar, the lemon zest, 1/2 teaspoons of the ginger, and a pinch of salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or two table knives until the mixture resembles small peas. Knead the dough in the bowl just until it begins to come together. Transfer the dough to the baking pan and, with floured hands, press it evenly over the bottom. Bake until very light golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let cool on a rack while you make the filling.
- In a small bowl, whisk 1-1/2 cups of the confectioners’ sugar, the remaining 2 Tbs. (1/2 ounce) flour, the baking powder, and a pinch of salt. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with an electric mixer on high speed until tripled in volume, pale yellow, and very light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes (the eggs will hold soft peaks very briefly). Reduce the speed to low, add the sugar and flour mixture, and beat just until blended, scraping the bowl as needed. Add the lemon juice and beat just until blended. Pour the lemon mixture over the warm crust.
- Bake until the filling is just set in the center, is golden brown on top, and doesn’t jiggle when the pan is nudged, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan on a rack. Just before serving, stir the remaining 1 teaspoons confectioner's sugar with a pinch of ginger in a small bowl. Transfer to a small sieve and sift over the lemon filling. Using a bench scraper or metal spatula, cut into 2-inch squares, slicing straight down (rather than dragging). Store in an airtight container.