Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Inspired by a recipe from Cooking Light, this is a simple but full flavored dish. The original calls for flounder but works well with sole and other mild fishes. Really surprised this isn't in the 'Zaar collection already as it is one of our favorites.
- 2⁄3 cup coarsely grated peeled gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (low sodium works well)
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Splenda granular or 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 (6 ounce) flounder fillets or 4 (6 ounce) sole fillets
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 scallion, green part sliced (optional)
- Using a damp cheesecloth or your hand, squeeze grated ginger over a small bowl gathering the ginger juice.
- Combine 2 tablespoons ginger juice, soy sauce, sherry, lemon juice, and sugar or sugar substitute in a large food storage bag or bowl; add fish, turning or gently shaking to coat.
- Marinate in refrigerator 20 minutes, turning fish occasionally.
- Remove fish from marinade; discard marinade.
- Place fish on broiler pan coated with cooking spray and broil 3 minutes (do not turn); brush oil over fish, and broil an additional minute or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- Place fish on individual serving plates, and drizzle remaining tablespoon ginger juice over fish; garnish with scallions.
i used tilapia fillets and i didn't have any fresh ginger on hand so i used crystallized ginger slices instead and omitted the sugar, letting it soften a bit in the lemon juice and soy sauce before chopping it. i have a spacemaker oven that doesn't have a broil option, so i let it bake for 10 minutes at 450 degrees, brushing on the sesame oil after 5 minutes. i served it with steamed broccoli and jasmine rice. for me, the green onions made the dish. my bf raved about it and asked that i make it again. thanks!
I really enjoyed this. I think it would be great grilled, but I made it in the oven. I made this for Potluck Tag! Thanks for posting this yummy recipe!
Super simple with fabulous flavor. Kids loved it and with fish that is quite a compliment.