1/1 Photo of Gingered Fig and Mango Chutney With a Bite
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
A chunky, vibrant, tangy, sweet chutney with a bite, to keep as an accompaniment or present as a gift. Serve with roast meats, sausages, fried polenta squares, as a condiment by mixing the chutney with mayonnaise to kick up your sandwiches, Serve it alongside any curry dish, as a spread on cream cheese, spread on brie wrap with puff pastry and bake. Puree it then use as a glaze chicken, shrimp or salmon, accompaniment to a cheese board and cold cuts of cured meats
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons whole allspice
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon black cardamom seed
- 4 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 2 lbs fresh figs (firm between green and ripe, stems removed and chopped in 8ths)
- 1 sweet onion, finely chopped (Walla Walla or equivalent)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 chili, diced
- 1 firm green mango, seeded and cubed
- 1 apple, cored removed and diced
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 lb light brown sugar
- 2 1/2 ounces crystallized ginger, chopped finely
- 3 tablespoons orange zest
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon dark n yellow mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1Grind the whole allspice, whole black pepper, and black cardamom seeds. In a large saucepan over high heat, combine all the ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until mixture has thickened to form thick syrup. Then simmer for 60 more minutes. Stirring often toward end of cooking to prevent burning.
- 2Optional: Save 2 cups of chopped fruits and pepper to add halfway through cooking for a chunkier chutney.
- 3Remove the cinnamon sticks and ladle into hot sterilized jars until 1/4 inch from the top.
- 4Seal with lids and set the jars in a pot of hot water bath for 20 minutes.
- 5Label and store in a cool dark place for 3 weeks at least for flavors to develop.
- 6Makes 8-9 1/2 pint jars.
Browse Our Top Chutneys Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gingered Fig and Mango Chutney With a Bite
Serving Size: 1 (3314 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 417.3
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 573.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 101.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 88.4 g
- Protein 2.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white balsamic vinegar