Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
If you've never made cranberry relish, you are going to be amazed at how quick and easy it is. The entire process takes about 15 minutes. In this version, I have avoided using oodles of refined sugar by cooking the cranberries in orange juice concentrate and adding some raisins. Crystallized ginger gives this relish special zest.
- 3 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 lb fresh cranberries, picked over and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 large orange, zest of
- agave syrup (optional) or honey, to taste (optional)
- 1 cup toasted pecans
- Blend the orange concentrate into the water in a heavy-bottomed, 3-quart pot. Set over high heat. Add the cranberries, raisins, and 1/3 cup ginger.
- When the liquid starts to boil, lower the heat slightly and boil uncovered, stirring occasionally, until most of the cranberries pop and the mixture thickens, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl or glass storage container. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of crystallized ginger, orange zest, and agave syrup or honey to taste, if desired. When the mixture has cooled, stir in the pecans. Chill until needed, up to 5 days. Serve at room temperature.