Recipe by DrGaellon
If you've never made cranberry relish, you are going to be amazed at how quick and easy it is. The entire process takes about 15 minutes. In this version, I have avoided using oodles of refined sugar by cooking the cranberries in orange juice concentrate and adding some raisins. Crystallized ginger gives this relish special zest.
- 3 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 lb fresh cranberries, picked over and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 large orange, zest of
- agave syrup (optional) or honey, to taste (optional)
- 1 cup toasted pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend the orange concentrate into the water in a heavy-bottomed, 3-quart pot. Set over high heat. Add the cranberries, raisins, and 1/3 cup ginger.
- When the liquid starts to boil, lower the heat slightly and boil uncovered, stirring occasionally, until most of the cranberries pop and the mixture thickens, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl or glass storage container. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of crystallized ginger, orange zest, and agave syrup or honey to taste, if desired. When the mixture has cooled, stir in the pecans. Chill until needed, up to 5 days. Serve at room temperature.