2 hrs 30 mins
Goes well with roast turkey or chicken but is especially good with pork.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) bag fresh cranberries, rinsed and picked over
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 medium celery ribs, with leaves chopped
- 2 tablespoons shredded fresh ginger (shredded on the large holes of a cheese grater)
- 10 cups coarsely crumbled cornbread (set out crumbled cornbread to dry overnight or dry crumbled cornbread in the oven)
- 1 cup blanched slivered almond, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 -1 1/2 cup turkey broth or 1 -1 1/2 cup chicken broth, as needed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1In a saucepan, add the sugar and 1 cup water; bring to a boil over high heat, stirring often to dissolve the sugar.
- 2Boil for 3 minutes.
- 3Add in the cranberries; cook for about 3 minutes or until the skins split (Do not overcook; the cranberries should remain relatively whole).
- 4Drain berries in a wire sieve.
- 5In a big skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- 6Add in the onion and celery; stir/saute for 8 minutes or until the onion is golden.
- 7Add in the ginger; stir for 1 minute.
- 8Scrape the cooked vegetables into a large mixing bowl.
- 9Add in the cornbread, cranberries, and almonds.
- 10Gradually stir in the eggs and approx 1 cup of broth, until the stuffing is evenly moist but not soggy.
- 11Season with salt and pepper.
- 12Place in a lightly buttered large casserole dish; drizzle with 1/2 cup broth, cover, and bake, covered, in a 350° oven for 30 minutes; for a crustier stuffing, remove the foil during the last 15 minutes or baking.
Browse Our Top Thanksgiving Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Thanksgiving Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gingered Cranberry and Almond Cornbread Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (1232 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 236.4
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 55.6 mg
- Sodium 219.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 19.2 g
- Protein 4.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: