Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This was a staple for me through the winter- it was a light, refreshing treat for a mid morning or afternoon snack at work. For the orange juice, I use one of the "not from concentrate" brands like Tropicana or Florida's Best.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups unsweetened orange juice, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon crystallized ginger, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 medium oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1 medium grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
- Sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup orange juice in a medium bowl. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Put remaining juice in a small non-reactive saucepan and bring just to a boil. Add to gelatin mixture and stir until gelatin dissolves. Stir in ginger and chill until slightly thickened (takes about 90 minutes, stir occasionally).
- Chop orange and grapefruit sections, drain. Stir fruit and crystallized ginger (if using) into thickened gelatin.
- Pour into individual serving dishes (I put it directly into small plastic refrigerator containers) and chill until firm.