Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
A nice, spicy chocolate mousse with a sophisticated twist. From BBC Good Food Vegetarian Christmas magazine. Can be made a day ahead. Good served with Italian cookies, like amaretti biscuits. Cooking time does not include chilling time.
- 150 g dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons black coffee
- 15 g butter
- 3 medium eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon brandy or 1 tablespoon coffee liqueur
- 3 pieces gingerroot
- 150 ml double cream (whipping)
- sifted cocoa powder, for dusting
- Melt chocolate, coffee, and butter in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Remove from heat, beat in egg yolks, one at a time, and add brandy or liqueur, if desired. Chop half the ginger and add to the chocolate. Slice remaining ginger and set aside.
- Whisk egg whites in separate bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Stir a large spoon of whites into the chocolate mixture, then gently fold in the rest.
- Divide between four small dessert glasses and chill at least 3 hours until set.
- Whip cream lightly and spoon on top of the mousses. Garnish with remaining ginger, dust with cocoa, and serve.