Cook7 hrs 25 mins
This is a modified version of a recipe I found on about.com. The spices are warming but not hot and the allspice really does work nicely with the ginger. I really like pineapple so Core plus 1 point per recipe for the cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 8 carrots, pared and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons fresh gingerroot
- 1 cup water or 1 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (20 ounce) can unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained, juice reserved
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into chunks (red or a mix of the two also work, but the green is a little less sweet and stands out more)
- 4 ounces sliced water chestnuts (about 1/2 cup)
- In 3-5 quart crockpot, combine chicken, carrots, ginger, water (or broth), allspice, and pepper. Cover crock pot and cook on low for 7-8 or high for 3-4 hours until chicken is cooked.
- In small bowl, combine reserved pineapple juice and cornstarch and mix until smooth. Add to crockpot, stirring constantly.
- Add pineapple chunks, water chestnuts and bell pepper to crock pot. Cover and cook on high for 20-25 minutes until mixture is thickened.
It was delicious. I used chicken legs and after 6 hours, it was tender and cooked through. I didn't cut them. I used chicken broth. At the end, I decided to not add green bell pepper and water chestnuts cause we had a big day out at the zoo. The next day, we ate the leftovers with my mother and she likes it a lot. Thanks Toni :)
This meal was good. We made it for a group of people and some loved it. We liked it but it wasn't our favorite.
This was easy and yummy! I have a rather large crockpot, and discovered I needed at least twice as much water/broth as called for to stop the chicken from burning.