Recipe by LittleNico
Everyone always loves this soup, which I call my "winter cold fighting soup" because of the ingredients. I also love it because it costs next to nothing to make. The original recipe came from Vegitarian Times, January 2003.
Top Review by Sharis2006
It is a nice soup. I made the soup the first time in 15 March. We had it with toasted cherry tomatoes and cheese on ciabatta bread. Such a lovely lunch. However, as only my DH and I had the lunch, we cut it to 1/6. Also, in order to speed up, I boiled the rice in half vegetable, half chicken broth while I was dealing with the vegetables. When I made it the second time, I added 1 tablespoon of oat with the rice for each serving so as to have some water-soluble fibre which mixed well. My DH and I will surely have it again soon. Thank for sharing.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups orange juice
- 4 tablespoons raw white rice
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a very large saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat.
- Sauté the garlic and onion until they are soft but not brown (about 5 to 8 minutes).
- Add the ginger and carrots and sauté for 5 minutes longer.
- Stir in the broth, orange juice and rice.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then purée in batches in the food processor or blender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Reheat soup before serving.