Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
This delicious creamy soup utilizes the juice of fresh ginger to add a little zing. The ingredients seem very long, but this soup is a cinch to make.
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 star anise
- 6 inches cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups finely chopped onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1⁄2 cups chopped carrots (approx. 1 lb)
- 2 cups water
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth or 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons honey (to taste)
- fresh chives (to garnish) or herbs (to garnish)
- Place the first 5 ingredients in a double layer of cheesecloth. Tie the bundle securely with string or in a knot.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. add onion, saute 5 minutes until tender.
- Add minced garlic, saute for 1 minute, then add the cheescloth bag of spices.
- Add the carrot, 2 cups water, and the broth.
- Bring this to a boil over high heat, cover, reduce heat, and cook for about 1 hour. Carrot should be tender. Discard cheesecloth pouch.
- Place the ginger and 1 TB water in a food processor. Pulse until finely minced, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- place ginger mixture in a double layer of cheesecloth. Gather edges of cheescloth and tie to form a bundle.
- Squeeze the bag of ginger to extract the juice. You need at least 2 TB.
- Add ginger juice, milk, and honey to the carrot mixture.
- Place half of the carrot mixture in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Pour pureed carrot mixture into a large bowl.
- Repeat procedure with remaining carrot mixture.
- Serve warm, garnished with chives or herbs if desired.