Recipe by Lisa in Acworth, GA
This is the moistest, tastiest carrot cake! My husband is not usually a fan of carrot cake but loved this because it was so, so moist. Fairly quick and easy to make and well worth the effort. Came from Better Homes & Gardens February 1995 issue.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 beaten eggs
- 3 cups finely shredded carrots
- 3⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger or 2 teaspoons grated gingerroot
- 2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup softened butter
- 1 tablespoon orange juice or 1 tablespoon apricot brandy
- 4 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 3⁄4 cup mixed dried fruit (optional)
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans (optional) or 1 cup walnuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and flour two 9" round cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the eggs, carrot, oil, dried fruit bits (if using) and ginger. Stir the egg mixture into the dry mixture. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake in 350 oven for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- To make frosting: beat together 2 packages of cream cheese, butter and orange juice. Gradually beat in enough sifted confectioner's sugar to make frosting of spreading consistency.
- Frost top, middle and sides of cake and press nuts into frosting, if desired.