Prep 45 mins
Cook 11 mins
From BHG's New Dieter's Cookbook. Per serving: 293 calories, 6 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 49 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 14 g protein. Touted as a meatless main dish but without the rice, it would make a nice side dish.
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 medium red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium red bell peppers or 1 medium yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow wax beans or 1 1⁄2 cups green beans or 1 1⁄2 cups Italian cut green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups coarsely chopped Chinese cabbage
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- Heat the oil over high heat in a wok or large skillet.
- Add in red onion, gingerroot, and garlic; reduce heat and stirfry for about 4 minutes or until onion is almost tender.
- Add in bell pepper and beans; cover and cook over medium-low for 3 minutes or until pepper is crisp tender.
- Stir in cabbage; cover and cook 4 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- In a small mixing bowl, add vinegar, soy sauce, and sesame oil; mix well.
- Stir into vegetable mixture along with the bean sprouts; heat through; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with rice if desired.