Recipe by GoldsmithLissa
From "Wine Lover's Healthy Weight-Loss Plan" Recommended Wine Pairing: Riesling or Gezurtraminer Try garnishing with baked apples sprinkled with cinnamon, then topped with a dollop of yogurt. Make it pretty : ) Add some half-and-half if you prefer a creamier variety.
Top Review by Alphacook
I made this last night with my daughter (who wants to be a chef). The apples overpowered the flavor of the squash. I used apple juice made from my juicer so maybe that was the reason for the pronounced apple flavor. I added a bit of cream which I had on hand instead of yogurt and that helped with the flavor a bit. Not a bad soup but I'll stick with my family recipe.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 2 small gala apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup apple juice or 1 cup apple cider
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- plain yogurt, as garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large nonstick soup pot over medium heat. Saute the onion until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in squash, apples, and ginger. Cook for 2 minutes. Add broth, apple juice, ginger, and nutmeg. Bring to boil, cover, and simmer about 20 minutes or until squash is tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Working in batches, puree in blender.
- Serve with spoonful of yogurt as garnish.