Recipe by I'mPat
Old family favourite for morning/afternoon tea/snack with a smear of butter. Fills the kitchen with a beautiful aroma when cooking.
Top Review by katew
This made a delicious golden cake. It took max 40 mins to cook and did not rise very much but smelled great whilst cooking. No photo as I took it to work. I did add extra grated ginger for more kick.
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1⁄2 cup self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 125 g butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 170 degree Celsius.
- Grease and line a loaf tin.
- Melt butter, water and honey together in a small pot or in microwave.
- Sift flours, bicarbonate of soda, gound ginger, nutmeg, salt and mix in brown sugar well.
- Mix melted ingredients with dry ingredients either with a mixer, food processor, stab blender or the old fashioned spoon or whisk (it is a thick mixture).
- Pour into prepared tin.
- Bung in the oven and cook for 45 minutes (test with skewer and if dry o'kay) if not could require up to another 15 minutes.
- Don't ask me why but it always takes somewhere between 45 to 60 minutes to cook and never the same twice and I've been cooking it for 25 years.