Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 mins
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove, ground
- cinnamon, ground, additional (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, beat yolks on high until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in molasses and butter. In another bowl, beat whites until foamy;
- gradually add sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Fold into yolk mixture.
- Combine dry ingredients; gently fold into egg mixture until well mixed.
- Line a greased 15x10x1 in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease and flour paper.
- Spread batter into pan. Bake at 375'F for 9-12 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Turn onto a linen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar.
- Peel off paper and roll cake up in towel, starting with short end.
- Cool on a wire rack
- Meanwhile, beat the first five filling ingredients in a mixing bowl until soft peaks form.
- Unroll cake; spread with half the filling. Roll up.
- Spread remaining filling over cake.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon if desired.
This takes a little work but the taste in the end is worth all the effort. I am planning on making this again for christmas.